The Admission Scholarship Scheme for Students Recommended by Principals (the “Scholarship”) of Macao Polytechnic University (the “University”) aims to encourage outstanding local students to study the Bachelor’s degree programmes (the “Programmes”) of the University, in order to nurture professional local talents for social advancement and to promote the development of the relevant academic disciplines, thereby facilitating the implementation of Macao’s Youth Policy and the medium- and long-term development plans for higher education in Macao.
The Scholarship is awarded to Macao residents who have applied and been admitted to study the Programmes of the University through recommendation by the principals of Macao secondary schools. No application is required.
III. Monetary Value and Disbursement Period
1. There are two categories under the Scholarship: Elite and Excellent. The corresponding monetary values are as follows:
(1) Elite: the top 15% students of Form Five, or of an equivalent level, in terms of their overall grade rankings among all their peers in the same level in a secondary school are entitled to a monetary value under the Scholarship equal to the full amount of their annual tuition fee;
(2) Excellent: the top 16% — 25% students of Form Five, or of an equivalent level, in terms of their overall grade rankings among all their peers in the same level in a secondary school are entitled to a monetary value under the Scholarship equal to half of the full amount of their annual tuition fee.
2. On the condition that the awardees have fulfilled the renewal requirements as stipulated in Article V, the maximum disbursement period of the Scholarship is the same as the normal study periods of the Programmes to which the awardees have been admitted.
3. The Scholarship is disbursed in the form of tuition waiver. For the awardees who have confirmed their intention to study at the University by paying the tuition fee for the first semester, the tuition fee paid will be refunded after they have completed the final examinations of the first semester. The refund amount is the same as the monetary value of the Scholarship awarded to them for that semester.
IV. Evaluation Procedures
1. The University’s Senate should determine the number of Scholarship awardees for each Programme every academic year according to the number of candidates who have applied to study at the University through recommendation by the principals of Macao secondary schools and the proportion of their numbers across the Programmes.
2. The Scholarship is awarded with reference to Article III to the candidates who have fulfilled the conditions as stipulated in Article II, according to the number of awardees in each Programme and the candidates’ overall score rankings, in descending order, as determined by each academic unit on the basis of their academic results in their secondary schools and their admission interview performances.
3. The awardee list for each Programme is compiled according to the preceding paragraph, and it will be submitted to the University’s Administrative Board for approval after being endorsed by the Head of the academic unit administering the Programme.
1. The Scholarship is renewable every academic year until the end of the maximum disbursement period as stipulated in Paragraph 2 of Article III.
2. The Scholarship should be renewed after the Head of the academic unit administering the Programme which the awardee is studying has confirmed that all of the following conditions have been fulfilled and the relevant decision has been approved by the University’s Administrative Board:
(1) Passing all the subjects studied in that academic year;
(2) Achieving a cumulative GPA of not lower than 3.0 by the end of that academic year.
The Scholarship awardees are required to perform the following obligations:
1. To complete the registration process according to the relevant provisions on student status and registration as provided in the “Academic Regulations Governing Bachelor’s Degree Programmes” of the University.
2. To study the Programmes to which they have been admitted according to the study plans published in the Official Gazette of the Macao Special Administrative Region;
3. To participate in at least ten activities registered in the University’s e-Portfolio system every academic year;
4. To pay any fees outside the scope of subsidy under the Scholarship with reference to the tuition and other fee standards and payment rules set by the University;
5. To not accept any other concurrent financial assistance provided by the University and the public departments or entities of the Macao Special Administrative Region in recognition of academic performance, and to provide accurate information and make all declarations truthfully.
1. The Scholarship is automatically terminated any of the following situations:
(1) The awardees have completed their studies of the Programmes;
(2) The awardees have suspended their studies of the Programmes;
(3) The awardees have terminated their studies of the Programmes;
(4) The awardees have failed to fulfill the renewal requirements as stipulated in Article V;
(5) The awardees have failed to perform the obligations as stipulated in Article VI;
(6) The maximum disbursement period of the Scholarship has elapsed.
2. In addition to the situations provided for in the preceding paragraph, the Scholarship can also be suspended or terminated according to the rules and regulations concerning student discipline.
3. If the Scholarship is terminated due to non-performance of the obligations as stipulated in Paragraphs 4 to 5 of Article VI, that awardee must return to the University the monetary value granted when the relevant obligations were not performed.
4. During the procedures relating to the Scholarship, those who have made untruthful declarations, provided false information or obtained the benefits under the Scholarship by any illegal means shall bear the administrative, civil and criminal responsibilities under the law, and should return to the University the monetary value granted under the Scholarship.
VIII. Final Provisions
1. This scheme is applicable to the students admitted to the University from the academic year 2023/2024 onwards. The awardees under the “Principals Recommendation Scholarship” admitted to the University in or before the academic year 2022/2023 should comply with the provisions of Articles VI to VIII under this scheme, and the monetary value, disbursement period and renewal requirements are the same as in the original plan.
2. Questions and omissions arising from the implementation of this scheme should be resolved by the University’s Senate.
Updated on 22 September 2022
This English version is a translation of the original scheme in Chinese. For any discrepancies between the two versions, the Chinese version shall prevail.