The Admission Scholarship Scheme for Outstanding Mainland Students (the “Scholarship”) of Macao Polytechnic University (the “University”) aims to encourage outstanding students from the Mainland China to study the Bachelor’s degree programmes (the “Programmes”) of the University, in order to facilitate the implementation of Macao’s Youth Policy and to promote the exchange between young people from different places, thereby laying down a foundation for their future cross-regional exchange and cooperation.
This Scholarship is awarded to secondary school graduates from the Chinese Mainland who have fulfilled all of the following conditions. No application is required:
1. Being admitted to the University to study the Programmes on the basis of their results of the National College Entrance Examination (Gaokao) of that year;
2. Having completed the registration process according to the relevant provisions on student status and registration as provided in the “Academic Regulations Governing Bachelor’s Degree Programmes” of the University.
III. Monetary Value and Disbursement Period
1. The monetary value of the Scholarship is determined, with reference to Paragraph 2 of Article IV, by the awardees’ rankings in terms of their admission selection results among all the candidates of the relevant Programmes (i.e. those candidates who have applied to study at the University with their Gaokao results of that year and completed all the applicable examination items as required by the Programmes, if any)
(1) The top 5% candidates are exempted from paying their annual tuition fee and accommodation fee, and they are given a monthly allowance of MOP3,000 per person for living in Macao;
(2) The candidates who ranked between top 6% and 10% are exempted from paying their annual tuition fee;
(3) The candidates who ranked between top 11% and 25% are exempted from paying half of the annual tuition fee for their first academic year.
2. For the awardees under Subparagraphs (1) and (2) of Paragraph 1 of this article, on the condition that they have fulfilled the renewal requirements as stipulated in Article V, the Scholarship is renewable for the normal study periods of the Programmes to which the awardees have been admitted.
3. For the awardees who have confirmed their intention to study at the University by paying the tuition fee for the first semester and accommodation fee, the fees paid will be refunded after they have completed the final examinations of the first semester. The refund amount is the same as the monetary value of the Scholarship awarded to them for that semester.
IV. Evaluation Procedures
1. The University’s Senate should determine the number of Scholarship awardees for each Programme every academic year according to the number of candidates applying with their Gaokao results of that year and the proportion of their numbers across the Programmes.
2. The Scholarship is awarded with reference to Article III to the candidates who have fulfilled the conditions as stipulated in Article II, according to the number of awardees in each Programme and one of the following methods for determining the candidates’ result ranking in descending order:
(1) The ratio between a candidate’s Gaokao result and the Gaokao score line of the relevant province / city / autonomous region adopted for reference by the University for admission purposes in that year; or
(2) The ratio between a candidate’s Gaokao culture score and the undergraduate’s culture score line applicable for the arts and sports students of the province / city / autonomous region to which the candidate belongs, adopted for reference by the University for admission purposes in that year (only applicable to the arts and sports Programmes).
3. The awardee list for each Programme is compiled according to the preceding paragraph, and it will be submitted to the University’s Administrative Board for approval after being endorsed by the Head of the academic unit administering the Programme.
1. For the awardees under Subparagraphs (1) and (2) of Paragraph 1 of Article III, the Scholarship is renewable every academic year until the end of the maximum disbursement period as stipulated in Paragraph 2 of Article III.
2. The Scholarship should be renewed after the Head of the academic unit administering the Programme which the awardee is studying has confirmed that all the following conditions have been fulfilled and the relevant decision has been approved by the University’s Administrative Board:
(1) Passing all the subjects studied in that academic year;
(2) Achieving a cumulative GPA of not lower than 3.0 by the end of that academic year.
The Scholarship awardees are required to perform the following obligations:
1. To study the Programmes to which they have been admitted according to the study plans published in the Official Gazette of the Macao Special Administrative Region;
2. To participate in at least ten activities registered in the University’s e-Portfolio system every academic year;
3. To pay any fees outside the scope of subsidy under the Scholarship with reference to the tuition and other fee standards and payment rules set by the University;
4. To not accept any other concurrent financial assistance provided by the University and the public departments or entities of the Macao Special Administrative Region in recognition of academic performance, and to provide accurate information and make declarations truthfully.
1. The Scholarship is automatically terminated under any of the following situations:
(1) The awardees have completed their studies of the Programmes;
(2) The awardees have suspended their studies of the Programmes;
(3) The awardees have terminated their studies of the Programmes;
(4) The awardees have failed to fulfill the renewal requirements as stipulated in Article V;
(5) The awardees have failed to perform the obligations as stipulated in Article VI;
(6) The maximum disbursement period of the Scholarship has elapsed.
2. In addition to the situations provided for in the preceding paragraph, the Scholarship can also be suspended or terminated according to the rules and regulations concerning student discipline.
3. If the Scholarship is terminated due to non-performance of the obligations as stipulated in Paragraphs 3 and 4 of Article VI, that awardee must return to the University the monetary value granted when the relevant obligations were not performed.
4. During the procedures relating to the Scholarship, those who have made untruthful declarations, provided false information or obtained the benefits under the Scholarship by any illegal means shall bear the administrative, civil and criminal responsibilities under the law, and should return to the University the monetary value granted under the Scholarship.
VIII. Final Provisions
1. This scheme is applicable to the students admitted to the University from the academic year 2023/2024 onwards. The awardees under the “Scholarship for Exceptional New Students from Mainland China” admitted to the University in or before the academic year 2022/2023 should comply with the provisions of Articles VI to VIII under this scheme, and the monetary value, disbursement period and renewal requirements are the same as in the original plan.
2. Questions and omissions arising from the implementation of this scheme should be resolved by the University’s Senate.
Updated on 22 September 2022
This English version is a translation of the original scheme in Chinese. For any discrepancies between the two versions, the Chinese version shall prevail.