The New Horizons Scholarship Scheme (the “Scholarship”) of Macao Polytechnic University (the “University”) aims to promote the educational cooperation and connection between Macao and the Chinese Mainland, to support the nation’s educational sector, and to recruit those students from the Chinese Mainland who are excellent in character and academically strong but find themselves in financial difficulties.
The Scholarship is awarded to secondary school graduates with financial difficulties from the Chinese Mainland who have fulfilled all the following conditions. No application is required:
1. Having attained a ratio of at least 1.1 between their results in the National College Entrance Examination (Gaokao) of that year and the Gaokao score line of the province / city / autonomous region to which the candidates belong, adopted for reference by the University for admission purposes in that year;
2. Being recommended by the “Oasis Action” organiser;
3. Having completed the registration process according to the relevant provisions on student status and registration as provided in the “Academic Regulations Governing Bachelor’s Degree Programmes” of the University.
Not more than one awardee every academic year.
IV. Monetary Value and Disbursement Period
1. The Scholarship awardees are exempted from paying their annual tuition fee and accommodation fee, and they are given a monthly allowance of MOP3,000 per person for living in Macao.
2. On the condition that the awardees have fulfilled the renewal requirements as stipulated in Article VI, the Scholarship is renewable for the normal study periods of the Bachelor’s degree programmes (the “Programmes”) to which the awardees have been admitted.
V. Evaluation Procedures
The awardee list is recommended by the “Oasis Action” organiser with reference to the Gaokao score line of that year set for admission purposes by the University and submitted to the University’s Administrative Board for approval after the candidates’ Gaokao results have been verified.
1. The Scholarship is renewable every academic year until the end of the maximum disbursement period as stipulated in Paragraph 2 of Article IV.
2. The Scholarship should be renewed after the Head of the academic unit to which the awardee belongs has confirmed that all the following conditions have been fulfilled and the relevant decision has been approved by the University’s Administrative Board:
(1) Passing all the subjects studied in that academic year;
(2) Achieving a cumulative GPA of not lower than 3.0 by the end of that academic year.
The Scholarship awardees are required to perform the following obligations:
1. To study the Programmes of the University to which they have been admitted according to the study plans published in the Official Gazette of the Macao Special Administrative Region;
2. To participate in at least ten activities registered in the University’s e-Portfolio system every academic year;
3. To pay any fees outside the scope of subsidy under the Scholarship with reference to the tuition and other fee standards and payment rules set by the University;
4. To not accept any other concurrent financial assistance provided by the University and the public departments or entities of the Macao Special Administrative Region in recognition of academic performance, and to provide accurate information and make declarations truthfully.
1. The Scholarship is automatically terminated under any of the following situations:
(1) The awardees have completed their studies of the Programmes;
(2) The awardees have suspended their studies of the Programmes;
(3) The awardees have terminated their studies of the Programmes;
(4) The awardees have failed to fulfill the renewal requirements as stipulated in Article VI;
(5) The awardees have failed to perform the obligations as stipulated in Article VII;
(6) The maximum disbursement period of the Scholarship has elapsed.
2. In addition to the situations provided for in the preceding paragraph, the Scholarship can also be suspended or terminated according to the rules and regulations concerning student discipline.
3. If the Scholarship is terminated due to non-performance of the obligations as stipulated in Paragraphs 3 to 4 of Article VII, that awardee must return to the University the monetary value granted when the relevant obligations were not performed.
4. During the procedures relating to the Scholarship, those who have made untruthful declarations, provided false information or obtained the benefits under the Scholarship by any illegal means shall bear the administrative, civil and criminal responsibilities under the law, and should return to the University the monetary value granted under the Scholarship.
IX. Final Provisions
1. This scheme is applicable to the students admitted to the University from the academic year 2023/2024 onwards. The awardees under the “New Horizons Scholarship” admitted to the University in or before the academic year 2022/2023 should comply with the provisions of Articles VII to IX under this scheme, and the monetary value, disbursement period and renewal requirements are the same as in the original plan.
2. Questions and omissions arising from the implementation of this scheme should be resolved by the University’s Senate.
Updated on 22 September 2022
This English version is a translation of the original scheme in Chinese. For any discrepancies between the two versions, the Chinese version shall prevail.