Encyclopedia of "One Country, Two Systems"
|Name of Publication:||Encyclopedia of “One Country, Two Systems”|
|Authors:||IEONG Wan Chong|
|Date of Publication:||May 2011|
The Encyclopedia of “One Country, Two Systems” ;is of one volume. It is the first comprehensive reference book about the “One Country, Two Systems” theory, both in the history of Macao and that of the whole nation China. This is a brand new innovation in the study of “One Country, Two Systems” theory. The Encyclopedia contains three parts: the indexes, the entries and the appendices. There are three types of indexes; they are index according to Hanyu Pinyin, index according to strokes, index according to subjects. The Encyclopedia contains over 2700 entries of various disciplines, including law, politics, sociology, psychology, economics, history, aesthetics and philosophy. Under the discipline of law, there are entries about constitutional law, jurisprudence, civil and commercial law, criminal law, international law, procedural law, legal history, comparative law and etc. There are also entries about the political study, including those about the national system, political body, public administration, contemporary democratic development and the cross-strait relations. There are five types of appendices, including the important legal documents selected, such as the People's Republic of China Constitution, the Hong Kong SAR Basic Law and the Macao SAR Basic Law, information about the drafting of the Basic Law and the establishment of the Macao SAR, the related information about the Macao government and Macao's participation in the national affairs, the materials about Macao's foreign affairs and other historical materials. There are altogether 24 appendices with 43 items. The whole publication contains around 180,000 Chinese characters.
According to the special compiling style of encyclopedias and the innovative spirit of the “One Country, Two Systems” principle, the editorial team combined knowledge and action, and sought common ground during the compilation. The editors made all the efforts for the unification of theory and practice, of width and depth, of important entries and the supplementary ones, of principal disciplines and related field, and of traditional thinking and innovative ideas. The editors hoped to provide a high standard and high quality production. In short, the Encyclopedia has the following characteristics:
- widely representative: the “One Country, Two Systems” theory has already become a research subject that is related to various disciplines, the Encyclopedia thus contains entries from different fields of a wide range;
- objective and pragmatic: all the entries about historical incidents and persons are factual and serious;
- inclusive: the “One Country, Two Systems” principle itself is an inclusive and tolerant concept, it is an idea that respects the differences and finds common grounds, and this concept is carried out through the whole Encyclopedia;
- scientific and rigorous: the Encyclopedia was compiled with high standard, with accurate data, updated information and objective details; no uncertain conclusions were made;
- explorative and innovative: both the style and the content of the Encyclopedia are creative and unconventional.